Monday, August 13, 2018

Growth Mindset

I found the videos about the growth mindset very interesting. I have not heard of Carol Dweck, but I have heard of the growth vs. fixed mindsets. I serve as a volunteer mentor to a child in a local Norman elementary school. When doing my training, I watched a presentation on the growth mindset and its applications. By employing some growth mindset ideas in weekly meetings, I saw the child's attention, effort, and overall self esteem grow throughout the year. This is when I knew that I had to focus on a growth mindset more in my life. I try to use these ideas in my school. I love being challenged in my courses. I also enjoy the growth mindset in exercise. I know that the only way to improve in a workout is through being challenged and having the mindset that you can achieve greater feats through effort and perseverance. I do think I would be interested in learning more about growth mindset throughout the semester. Growth mindset was a huge asset to me when I took biochemistry. At first, I thought I would never be able to learn the material. By the end of the semester, I was truly amazed at everything I had learned. I look forward to the challenge of Human Physiology this semester, as well as my other classes that will provide ample opportunity for growth.

Image of Growth Mindset. Source: Pixabay 

1 comment:

  1. How great that you work with a young child like that, Andy: that is such a perfect way to get in touch with your own growth and learning. I hope this class can be challenging for people not so much in terms of hard tests or exams, but instead in the sense of trying new things, working on new skills that might require practice at first. Working with children is such a good way to put yourself back in that "beginner's mind" way of thinking that sometimes we lose touch with as we grow up! :-)

    ReplyDelete