Sunday, August 26, 2018

Week 3 Story: A Curse from the Past

         John Abraham was a high school AP Biology teacher. He had been teaching this subject material for thirty two years, and he loved every minute of it. He was a man that put everything he had into the learning of his students. He was a single man. He earned a decent living on his teacher’s salary and had relatively few obligations outside of his teaching subject. As an avid lifelong learner, he was constantly looking for the next challenge in his life to continue his mastery of the subject. One particular interest he had taken was in the medicinal side of biology. So, as a sixty two year old man, he made the decision to give up teaching and pursue medical school and a career in medicine. He wanted to spend the later years of his life learning about his lifelong passion.
            Mr. Abraham started on his quest by completing the few missing pre-requisite courses at the local university. He then went on to study for the MCAT and prepare his application. As a teacher with subject mastery, he was able to score exceptionally well. In fact, he was almost a sure-fire medical school candidate. He submitted his application and promptly received an interview for the medical school at his local university.
            Everything appeared to be going well for Mr. Abraham until the day of his interview. When he walked in, he greeted everyone with a smile and a handshake. But there was one person, the dean of admissions, whose face popped out from the crowd and haunted Mr. Abraham for the duration of the interview. The dean of admissions was none other than Carl Johnson, one of Mr. Abraham’s students from years ago.
            That year was a particularly trying time for Mr. Abraham. A severe teacher shortage forced him to take on multiple classes. On top of that, his personal life took a hit as he was going through a divorce. This was the one year that Mr. Abraham was not devoted to teaching. One student, Carl Johnson, was constantly wearing thin on Mr. Abraham’s nerves. Although he had technically done enough to pass his course, Mr. Abraham decided to give him a failing grade on a technicality due to a late assignment. As far as Mr. Abraham knew at the time, this would be his last encounter with Carl Johnson.
            At the conclusion of the medical school interview, Carl Johnson pulled Mr. Abraham aside.
“Do not think I forgot how poorly you treated me,” said Carl. “You will never gain admission to any medical school around here if I have any say in the matter.”

            Mr. Abraham is devastated. His worst nightmares have come true. He knows that his predicament is the result of a curse placed on him many years ago, when he did not teach to the best of his abilities.


Author’s Notes: This story is very loosely based on an excerpt from Narayan’s Ramayana Part A. When Rama is forced into exile, Dasharatha knows that this terrible situation is the result of a curse placed on him long ago, when he killed a man. I took the theme that sins from your past can and will haunt you in the future, and I wrote a story with completely different characters and plot. However, I held constant the theme that your past can haunt you. This is true in the story of Mr. Abraham, who finds his dreams to attend medical school crushed due to treating a student poorly long ago in his past.

Bibliography: Narayan's Ramayana Part A 


5 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew, this is a great retelling of the Ramayana where Dasharatha must exile Rama. It is intriguing to be because of the detail you go into in making sure that we understand Carl's reasoning behind the rejection, and how much Mr. Abraham cared about getting into med school as a parallel to Rama and Dasharatha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, Andrew, I'm really impressed that you came up with a brand new story and managed to connect to so well to the story from class. When I was first reading this, I was like "I don't remember writing a story like this..." And then I read the Author's Note and the connection was perfectly executed!I usually cop out and slightly rewrite a story I think the fact that you imagined a whole new scenario, really shows how creative you are! I liked the Carl Johnson character, but I wish we could have heard more from him! You did a really great job of building up Mr. Abraham. I was rooting for him and I was really sad when didn't get in. Also, did Mr. Abraham eventually get in to medical school or did his dreams die right then and there? Because he could always go to a different school that Carl doesn't work at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy,
    That was a very impressive creation of a story. It followed the plot of the Narayan when Rama was forced into exile almost perfectly. The part where you said “everything was going well for Mr. Abraham until the day of the interview” brought so much suspense to what was to come in the following paragraph. I understood why the story ended like it did, but I wonder what the story would be like if it went into more detail on the outcome of the interview. What if there was a little bit of foreshadowing on how there was a kid that he had taught that did not end very well. That he was going through a rough time and was not teaching or grading the way he normally did, and the rough time he was going through was taken out on the kid. But he went home and felt terrible for that he had done, but by the time he had tried to change the grade it was too late. This was a fantastic story and look forward to your future stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew,
    I am amazed at the story you came up with. I spend my time tweaking the characters a little bit here and there, and maybe adding a plot twist. However, I love the freedom you took with this assignment my basically only using the stories theme. I'm guess from the story you are a pre-med student and I wish you the best. You did an outstanding job creating these characters from then air. How was it that Carl was able to keep an entire medical board from denying him? I'd like to think that Mr. Abraham would get in somehow with his incredible credentials. My only suggestion would be having a positive spin on it in the end. I understand the theme is about cursing, but I was rooting for Mr. Abraham so much. I guess I just like happy endings, but I see how it could be conflicting. This was a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Andy,

    I really liked the story you came up with. It was really creative while still kept similar to the original version. Only by keeping the theme, other that that you completely rewrote it into what you saw fit. It made it fun to read and also showed off your writing ability.

    ReplyDelete